June 2011 - News Archive
World Environment Day - June 5th
World Environment Day (WED) is sponsored by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), which has declared this year as the International Year of Forests. The theme of WED 2011 is “Forests: Nature At Your Service”. The event has a dedicated website, and includes:
- Latest news—news on the state of forests, particularly in the developing world
- Suggested activities for celebrating WED
- Forest Facts—facts and figures in keeping with this year's theme, on the impact or deforestation on the environment, particularly with regard to climate change
- Informational Materials—including logos, photos, videos, web banners, and downloadable flyers via PDF
Books Missing from the Library
These books are missing from the Library and are needed for other researchers. If you have any of these items please return them immediately.
- Bruus, Henrik, 2008. Theoretical microfluidics (TJ853 .B78 2008)
- Enting, I.G. 2002. Inverse problems in atmospheric constituent transport (QC880.4 .A8 .E68 2002)
- Malone, Thomas F., 1951. Compendium of meteorology (QC852 .A5)
- Sarewitz, Daniel, Roger A. Pielke, Jr., and Radford Byerly, Jr. 2000. Prediction : science, decision making, and the future of nature (Q125 .P92 2000)
- Satoh, Masaki, 2004. Atmospheric circulation dynamics and general circulation models (QC880.4 .A8 .S26 2004)
- Stutzman, Warren L. & Gary A. Thiele, 1998. Antenna theory and design, 2nd ed., (TK7871.6 .S77 1998)
Access to 2011 Elsevier Online Journal Issues Limited
The Boulder Labs Library’s online access to Elsevier Journals via Science Direct currently ends with the July 2011 issue. This is due to the ongoing license negotiations involving Elsevier and the NOAA Silver Spring procurement office. If you need an article from an August 2011 or later issue, please submit a request via ILLiad.
NAP Reports Now Available for Free Download
More than 4,000 National Academies Press (NAP) reports are now available to download free of charge. Reports can be searched by keyword using the search box in the upper left hand corner of the website or can be browsed by such subjects as:
- Biology and Life Sciences
- Computers and Information Technology
- Earth Sciences
- Energy and Energy Conservation
- Engineering and Technology
- Environmental Sciences
- Math, Chemistry and Physics
- Science and Technology Policy
- Space and Aerospace
Once a report of interest is located, click the “Download Free PDF” icon. An account box will pop up. Users can register or use the guest login, either way an email address is required.
New Look for Taylor & Francis Online Journals
Taylor and Francis replaced InformaWorld with the new Taylor & Francis Online interface on Monday, June 27. The new platform features:
- An interface facilitating easier and more intuitive navigation and browsing
- Mobile Service featuring apps for iPhone, Blackberry, and Android
- Graphical abstracts and first page preview to facilitate strategic reading in order to discover the most relevant information
- 1,600 journal titles, many of which featuring pre-publication material
To learn more about navigating Taylor & Francis Online, check out the tutorials.
Return to General Information
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.