January 2014 - News Archive
Welcome to Winter Workshops ’14!
The Boulder Labs Library second annual Winter Workshop Series begins next week. We are offering new and exciting webinars that will benefit researchers of NIST, NOAA, & NTIA. The first workshop will be:
EndNote X7 Webinar 1/14 & 1/16
Come learn about the latest version of EndNote. Workshop suitable for experienced EndNote users as well as beginners. New features include:
- Ability to synchronize references between libraries and multiple computers
- Create searchable tags for PDF’s
- Download citations and reference lists to PowerPoint presentations
- Add subheadings to bibliographies in Word documents
- New reference types including interviews, podcasts, & press releases
- Drag-and-drop to reorder column headings
- Background synchronization to back up work online
- Use desktop library to identify groups online
- Presented by Kristen Faeth of Thomson/Reuters
- Two dates:
- Tuesday, January 14 in DSRC GC402, 10:00am
- Thursday, January 16 in 1-1107, 2:00pm
Other Upcoming Webinars include:
Discover how this powerful tool ensures your work is recognized, and how to create your profile.
- Tuesday January 28, 10:00am in Bldg. 1, Rm. 1107
- Tuesday January 28, 2:00pm in DSRC GC402
Find out how to store, categorize, and share citations “in the cloud” via EndNote Basic. Compatible with EndNote X7.
- Tuesday, February 4, 2:00pm in Bldg. 1, Rm. 1107
- Thursday, February 6, 10:00am in DSRC GC-402
Learn to get the most from Books 24x7 to enhance your computer skills.
- Tuesday, March 4, 2:00pm in Bldg. 1, Rm. 1107
- Thursday, March 6, 2:00pm in DSRC GC402
Click here for the Winter Workshops Poster PDF
Contact: Aric Villarreal, x3003, firstname.lastname@example.org
EPA Now Hosts HERO Database
Developed by EPA’s Office of Research and Development, the Health and Environmental Research Online (HERO) database contains over 600,000 citations and data sources from peer-reviewed literature to support risk assessments on environmental and chemical hazards. Literature includes book chapters, journal articles, proceedings, and legal documents. Features include:
- Unique HERO ID for each item
- Filter by item cited as final paper or review draft
- Filter citations drawn from other databases , including Web of Science, PubMed, and ProQuest
- Basic and advanced search
- Export individual citations or selections from results lists to EndNote
- Automatically generate bibliographies in Word, Excel, or PDF out of citation selections
- Citations include abstracts and related MeSH terms
- Give feedback on individual references
HERO is part of the wider open government initiative to improve transparency and access with regard to government information. The Library has added HERO to its Databases page.
Surface Science Spectra Added by the Library
Surface Science Spectra is a journal focusing on peer-reviewed analyses of spectral data. Features include:
- Data ranges include XPS, AES, and SIMS
- 780 materials with downloadable data
- Single-topic articles also included, in such areas as:
- Transition metals
- Complete information about spectral data, to compare and verify with your own results
Surface Spectral Data now available from the Library’s E-journals page.
Google Scholar Library
Google Scholar now allows you to save selected articles from your search results in your own Google Scholar Library. Features include:
- Click the “Save” link by a citation from your search results
- Access saved citations by clicking the “My library” link
- Search full-text of articles in your library
- Cite articles in your library
- Articles saved in your Google scholar profile will be imported into your library
- If you have a public Google Scholar profile, you may import articles cited by articles in your library
Click here for information on getting started.
Above: Google Scholar Search results, with "save" links for sending citations to your library, then Google Scholar Library with saved citations
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.