March 2014 - News Archive
Celebrate Boulder Labs Research during National Library Week
Panel Discussion, Tuesday, April 15, 10am-12pm, DSRC GC-402
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear some of our eminent Boulder Labs scientists discussing their research and how libraries have supported them in their careers. The panel discussion will be followed by a question and answer session, as well as time to meet and talk one-on-one with panelists. Refreshments will be served!
- Gordon Day — Founder and Director (retired), NIST Optoelectronics Division, former IEEE President, and science advisor to Senator John D. “Jay” Rockefeller. His work includes the development of standards for fiber-optics.
- Paula Dunbar —Research Scientist, NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Manages tsunami, volcanic eruption, and earthquake data, and developed online educational tools such as the Kid’s Hazards Quiz. She is a member and past secretary of the IUGG Joint Tsunami Commission. 2008 US DoC Silver Medal Award in the category of personal and professional excellence for strengthening worldwide tsunami warning, research, and mitigation.
- A.R. “Ravi” Ravishankara — Director (retired), NOAA Chemical Sciences Division. Professor, Departments of Chemistry and Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University. 2004 Presidential Rank Award recipient. Dr. Ravishankara’s work focuses on the chemistry of the atmosphere in relation to ozone depletion, climate change, and air quality.
- Frank Sanders — Director, Telecommunications Theory Division, NTIA Institute of Telecommunications Science. 2012 US DoC Gold Medal Award in the category of Scientific/Engineering Achievement for work in providing radio interference diagnostics for the National Weather Service.
- Dave Wineland — Leader, Ion Storage Group, NIST Time & Frequency Division. He was awarded the 2012 Nobel Prize in Physics "for ground-breaking experimental methods that enable measuring and manipulation of individual quantum systems."
Research Vendor Fair, April 17, 10am-2:00pm, DSRC GC-402
Join us at the Research Vendor Fair. Bring your questions. Learn how your life and research can be changed @ the library and gather useful and fun vendors’ freebies. Vendor booths will include:
Sponsored by the Boulder Labs Library, in celebration of National Library Week (April 13 - 19, 2014). This year’s theme is “Lives Change @ the Library.” For more information, contact Aric Villarreal, email@example.com, x3003.
IEEE Statement on Use of Citation Metrics
IEEE recently published a statement on improving the use of citation metrics to evaluate journal articles. The primary issue addressed by IEEE is that impact scores may not accurately reflect the quality of research in published papers. Recommendations put forth by IEEE include:
- Not using citation scores solely as a stand-in for measuring article quality
- Using multiple indicators to gain an all-around perspective on a published work or journal title
- The use of peer review as the primary indicator of the quality of a published work
For the statement PDF, click here.
New iPad App for WIRES Climate Change
Wiley recently introduced an iPad app for it’s journal WIREs Climate Change. App features include:
- Early view for latest articles
- Browse issues before downloading them
- Full-screen In-line figures and tables
- Supporting information for articles
To download the app, visit the Wiley Online Library on-site and create a log-in. Once logged into your account, you will be able to activate roaming access and complete the download. For more information, visit the Wiley Journal iPad App FAQ. WIREs Climate Change is currently available from the Library’s E-Journals page.
AAAS to Launch New OA Journal
AAAS/Science is planning the release of a new journal, Science Advances, for 2015. Science Advances will focus on the most up-to-date scholarly communications in diverse fields of research. Features include:
- Multidisciplinary coverage, including all branches of science, engineering, and mathematics
- Open Access
- Peer Reviewed
- Article submissions will be fee-based
For more information, read the press release here.
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.