July 2014 - News Archive
UNAVCO Supports Geodetic Data
The University NAVSTAR Consortium (UNAVCO) supports geoscience research and education using geodetic methods. UNAVCO hosts several geodetic data services, including:
- Technical support
- GPS/GNSS Data
- Imaging data
- Strain and Seismic Data
- Tropospheric Data
- DOI assignment
UNAVCO is currently working to host its data on a unified interface, to facilitate rapid searching and retrieval of data. The consortium is university-based and sponsored by NASA and the NSF.
Gephi Data Visualization
Gephi is an open-source data visualization platform that makes possible a high degree of flexibility and user interactivity in creating and manipulating graphs. Features include:
- Simple user interface (sample image left, from Gephi home page)
- Real-time visualization tools
- Layout algorithms to optimize graph shape
- Dynamic network analysis, including metrics, timeline graphs and streaming
- Custom colors, size, and labels
- Dynamic filtering using queries
- Modular platform design, for developers
- Plugins available
Gephi is available for free download. Users are encouraged to participate in the Gephi consortium, which is governed by the Gephi Manifesto.
Earth and Space Science
Earth and Space Science is a new peer-reviewed, Open Access journal from AGU. Its scope includes all areas of the earth, planetary, and space sciences, including:
- Environmental science
- Geo- and space engineering
Earth and Space Science will begin accepting submissions on August 1. Read the AGU Author Guide for information on submissions.
New ebrary Mobile App
ebrary now offers an app that optimizes its ebook content for mobile devices. Features include:
- Read ebook content online or offline
- Early ebook check-in
- Download size warning can be configured by user
- Authentication based on email ID
- Use account on six different devices
- Use app to import own research outside of the ebrary platform
The app can be downloaded in two versions: one for iPhone, iPad and other Apple products, and the other for Android. Features and download instructions are linked from the Library’s Mobile Apps page.
Find Scientific Repositories with Databib
Databib is a searchable catalog containing links to almost one thousand research data repositories worldwide, representing all subject areas. Areas of interest to Boulder labs researchers include:
It was recently announced that Databib will merge with re3data.org, in order to cut down on duplication between both services; this merger will be managed by DataCite (covered in the 6/25/14 Library News), and should be completed by the end of 2015.
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.