August 2014 - News Archive
Geo: Geography and Environment
Geo: Geography and Environment is a new peer-reviewed, open access journal from The Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) and Wiley. Its focus is on geographic and environmental research from an interdisciplinary perspective. Features include:
- Copyright governed by Creative Commons license
- Enhanced articles with multimedia and data content
- Gold (fee-based) open access model
Geo is available from the Library’s E-journals page. For information on article submission, visit the Geo Submission Guidelines page. For article publication fees, visit Article Publication Charges.
DOAJ Takes Measures to Weed out Predatory Journals
The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) has taken steps to root out predatory journals from its listings. According to a recent article in Nature.com, some of the measures implemented by DOAJ include:
- Adhering to stricter criteria for journals to apply for inclusion in the directory
- Asking all 10,000 journals currently in DOAJ to re-apply based on the stricter criteria
- Developing whitelists of acceptable journals as a tool for funders, authors, and librarians to find reputable titles
- Top 10-15% given a seal of best practice
For more information on DOAJ, please see the March 2013 Library News. For more information on predatory publishing, see the June 2014 Library News.
Search IOP Corporate
The IOP Corporate Search page enables you to find full-text content licensed via the Boulder Labs Library’s subscription to IOP Corporate. It pulls relevant hits from any of these IOP titles matching your search criteria into one results list. You can:
- Use keyword or advanced search (“Article Lookup” in right-hand corner of page)
- Use operators (AND, OR, NOT) in keyword search
- Save searches (login required)
- Click on “Journals” tab for:
- Filtering options
- Full text search
- RSS feeds
- Search alerts
IOP Corporate Search is still under development, though it is available for use now, so new features will continue to be added.
Establish Your Reputation with peerevaluation.org
Peerevaluation.org enables you to track and manage the review, sharing, and reuse or your scholarly communications. Benefits include:
- Receive constructive feedback prior to submitting articles for publication
- Encourages “open peer review,” i.e. other users in your research area are given incentive to conduct fair reviews, as a quality review gets credited to the reviewer
- Select whether any research output is for private review or public viewing
- Complements quantitative metrics, including altmetrics, with qualitative analyses of your work
- Receive email alerts when your article has been reviewed, or you have been invited to review an article
- Your paper’s availability for peer review is mentioned in Google Scholar
Creating a login is free. For more information, visit the peerevaluation.org User Guide.
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.