June 2016 - News Archive
Ebsco STM Source Added to Databases Page
The Library has added Ebsco STM Source to its Databases page. It is available to NOAA & NTIA employees on the Boulder Campus. STM Source is a full-text database concentrated in science, technology, engineering, and medicine. Features include:
- 6,000 full-text journals, including more than 5,500 peer reviewed
- Other publications include books, proceedings, reports, and reviews
- Create login to save, organize, and share searches
- Export citation to bibliographic management software, including EndNote and Reference Manager
Full-text articles from STM Source are accessible via the Library’s WorldCat Discovery interface.
TicTocs Now JournalTOCs with over 28k Titles
The current awareness service TicTocs has changed its name to JournalTOCs with a new URL. JournalTOCs allows researchers to set up alerts for the latest articles from over 28,000 journal titles. Additional features include:
- Free login to follow journals
- Optional email alerts when new issues of followed journals are published
- Title count includes over 10,000 OA and 11,000 hybrid journals
- Search for journals by title or ISSN
- Keyword search for articles
- Browse title by subject or publisher
JournalTOCs is available from the Library’s Current Awareness page.
Gephi Updates to Version 0.9.1
The open-source data-visualization tool Gephi has recently updated to version 0.9.1 to fix issues recently discovered with the 0.9.0 update, which was released in December 2015. Improvements in version 0.9.1 include:
- German localization added to list of languages, which already include English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Czech, Russian, and Japanese
- New mutual edge filter implemented
- Import wizard support re-introduced
- Ability to merge dynamic attributes and timeset when merging parallel edges
- Adding label properties in Edit mode
- Click here for list of bug fixes
Gephi was originally covered in the July 8, 2014 Library News.
Research Data Alliance – Open Data Sharing through Collaboration
The Research Data Alliance (RDA) enables researchers to create and manage collaborative groups directed towards facilitating open data sharing in all disciplines. To join, read the RDA Guiding Principles and create a login. Types of groups include:
- Working Groups – 12-18 month duration to contribute tools, policies, and best practices towards improving data exchange for particular research communities
- Interest Groups – indefinite duration to address particular topics concerning data sharing and infrastructure
- Birds of a feather groups – formed to convene at RDA bi-annual plenary meetings around a single topic
So far RDA boasts over 4050 members worldwide.
BioOne Complete now with Over 190 Titles
BioOne now hosts over 190 titles under its full-text aggregation service, BioOne Complete. Subject areas include the biological, ecological, and environmental sciences. Features include:
- Subscribed and OA titles
- Browse by title, publisher, featured article
- Search figure and table captions via advanced search screen
- Register for free for custom search tools and alerts
BioOne was originally featured in the June 1, 2005 Library News. It also publishes its own Open Access journal, Elementa, originally covered in the February 20, 2013 Library News.
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.