August 2016 - News Archive
IEEE Acquires GlobalsSpec
IEEE recently acquired GlobalSpec, a multi-media provider of news, data, and analytics related to engineering and industry. The acquisition includes the Engineering 360 search platform owned by GlobalsSpec, and will complement IEEE’s array of products. Features include:
- News and Analysis – engineering, tech, and manufacturing new and data
- Products and suppliers – directories links to manufacturers and OEM parts suppliers, searchable by specification
- Standards Library – abstracts for over 1.6 million standards documents
- Reference Library – search for engineering related books and articles
- Engineering community – blogs and forums
- Sign up for industry webinars / view past webinars
GlobalSpec, as an independent site, was originally covered in the March 14, 2005 Library News.
Accessible Chemistry Resources with Wired Chemist
Wired Chemist provides data, tutorials, and discussions related to the fields of chemistry, environmental science, mineralogy, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) imaging. The site is intended as an accessible reference resource for both students and professional researchers. Resources include:
- Instructional modules
- Laboratory demonstrations
- Quicktime movies and videos
- Links to other resources
Wired Chemist features a search function in addition to tabbed browsing.
900 New Titles in ebrary
The Boulder Labs Library has recently added over 900 new titles to the ebrary book collection in the subject areas of Chemical engineering, Engineering, Environment (including renewable resources), Geosciences, Math and Statistics, Meteorology, Physics, Science (General), and Telecommunications. The ebrary collection can be accessed from the Boulder Labs Library website. Here are some examples of the titles of interest to Boulder Labs researchers:
- Energy Flows, Material Cycles and Global Development : A Process Engineering Approach to the Earth System; Schaub, G., Turek, T.; Springer, 2016
- Engineering Vibroacoustic Analysis: Methods and Applications; Hambric, S.A, Sung, S.H. & Nefske, D.J.; Wiley, 2016
- Flood Forecasting: A Global Perspective; Adams, T.E., Pagano, T.C., Academic Press, 2016
- Fundamentals of Physics and Chemistry of the Atmospheres; Visconti, G.; Springer, 2nd ed. 2016
- Mathematical Analysis, Approximation Theory and Their Applications; Rassias, T., Gupta, V.; Springer, 2016
- Light Scattering and Radiative Transfer; Kokhanovsky, A.; Springer, 2016
- Non-Classical Crystallization of Thin Films and Nanostructures in CVD and PVD Processes; Hwang, N.M.; Springer, 2016
- Numerical Modeling of Sea Waves; Chalikov, D.V.; Springer 2016.
- Polarized Light and the Mueller Matrix Approach; Perez, J.J.G., Ossikovski, R.; CRC Press, 2016
- Theory and Methods of Statistics; Bhattacharya, P.K., Burman, P.; Academic Press, 2016
- Traffic Anomaly Detection; Cuadra-Sanchez, A.; ISTE Press/Elsevier, 2015
- Tunable Laser Optics; Duarte, F.J.; CRC Press, 2015
AGU to Introduce New Journal, GeoHealth, in Fall 2016
The American Geophysical Union (AGU) is planning the publication of a new journal, GeoHealth for the Fall. GeoHealth will be an interdisciplinary Open Access journal focusing on the interaction between the environment and health. Specific topics will include, but not be limited to:
- Impacts of climate change on health
- Air and water pollution
- Radiation and its effects on health
- Impacts of disasters on health
GeoHealth will begin accepting submissions in the Fall. Articles will be published under the Creative Commons License, and automatically deposited to PubMed Central.
OA2020 is an initiative to encourage scholarly journals to transition from the subscription model to Open Access. The initiative builds on the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities, which had 560 signatories. Specific aims of OA2020 include:
- Transition most extant scholarly journals from subscription to OA, respecting the publication preferences of specific communities
- Accomplish the transition by using existing funds spent on subscriptions to finance sustainable OA models
- Invite collaboration from all parties involved with publishing, including universities, research institutions, funders, libraries, and publishers on the transition to OA
To see what organizations have expressed interest in OA2020, visit the OA2020 Mission page.
Note: the Boulder Laboratories Library does not necessarily endorse the views, facts, services or products on any off site links.