U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

FAQ - General Public


Q: How do I arrange a tour of NIST Boulder?
A: https://www.nist.gov/director/pao/nist-tours

Q: Where can I get the official time from the atomic clock?
A: https://www.time.gov/

Q: Where can I learn more about the WWV (radio station that broadcasts the atomic time signal and more)?
A: https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwv

Q: Who do I contact about having NIST come to my school or event to speak?
A: Laura Ost, (303) 497-4880, laura.ost@nist.gov

Q:Where do I find information on the history of NIST


Q: How do I arrange a tour of NOAA Boulder?
A: https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/outreach/tours.html

Q: Who do I contact about having NOAA scientists come to my school or event to speak?
A: Sarah Venema 303-497-6045

Q: Who do I contact for more information about Science on a Sphere?
A: John P. Schneider
Phone: 303-497-4646
Fax: 303-497-6758
Email: john.p.schneider@noaa.gov

Q: Is there a phone number I can call to get Denver and surrounding area weather forecasts?
A: Yes, (303) 494-4221

Q: Who is the state climatologist for Colorado:
A: Russ Schumacher, 970.491.8084, russ.schumacher@colostate.edu , http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/

Q: How do I find the climatologists for other states?
A: http://www.stateclimate.org/

Q: Where do I get certified weather data that can be used in a court of law?
A: NCEI - https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/customer-support/certification-data (be sure to request certified data)

Q: What weather data is available from NCEI?
A: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-information

Q: Can I access NCEI data online for free?
A: Some data is available free to the public, other data can be accessed free from any NOAA, federal or federal depository library (University of Colorado is a federal depository library (FDL). For more FDL locations see: http://catalog.gpo.gov/fdlpdir/FDLPdir.jsp )

Q: Where do I get snow/rain data for stations/cities not covered by NCEI data?
A: http://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/ListDailyPrecipReports.aspx

Q: Where do I get measurements of Aerosols, Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide, Methane, Surface Ozone, Ozonsondes, Water Vapor, Station Meteorology, Halocarbons, Radiation, SURFRAD, & Atmospheric Transport?
A: NOAA Global Monitoring Division: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/iadv/ OR http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/dv/ftpdata.html

Q: Where can I get the current space weather conditions and forecasts?
A: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Q: How do I subscribe to the Solar Indices Bulletin?
A: Contact, NGDC, Solar-Terrestrial Physics Division, (303) 497-6761. It is also available online at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/solar/sibintro.html

Q: Where do I find sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset & moon phase data?
A: http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services


See also: NTIA, ITS Website

Q: Who do I contact to obtain an ITS document that the Library does not own?
A: ITS Publications: Lilli Serge, (303) 497-3572, lsegre@its.bldrdoc.gov

Q: What type of research is being done at Table Mountain North of Boulder?
A: http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/table_mountain

Q: Where can I get the United States Frequency Allocation Chart?
A: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.html

Q: Where do I find information on the history of ITS
A: https://www.its.bldrdoc.gov